Your home is probably one of the most expensive purchases your likely to make throughout your lifetime. It’s easy to say you should be doing at least a yearly maintenance and repair Health Check on your beautiful home. Protect and secure your major investment.
- Ventilate your home – Inadequate ventilation can cause many issues such as dampness and infestations.
- Remove damaged insulation and fill insulation gaps.
- Install Insect Screens to encourage natural cooling. Have your heating systems/cooling systems (air con) checked. Termites thrive in dark moist and poorly ventilated areas the best way to protect your home is to have regular termite inspections especially if there has been issues in the past.
Take a look at this short video which shows how dangerous these little critters can be…
- Remove old piles of wood from gardens.
- Remove moisture from foundations such as a leaky pipe.
- Make sure gutters and downpipes are unblocked and working.
Here at Assess and Construct we now offer a Tree Lopping and Gutter clearing service with full removal of cut trees/branches etc.
When painting try to use a low (volatile organic compound) paint. Indoor painting is very popular and a change of color tied in with the seasons deco can look amazing. But be aware that VOC’s in paints are chemicals that in some people are known to cause a range of health problems that can be linked to illnesses such as cancer, kidney damage, and can negatively cause issues with our central nervous system.
- Replace old and broken windows.
- Maximise your homes thermal efficiency, if it’s within the budget then replace windows with UPVC double glazed windows and doors. These windows keep cold out in winter and heat out in summer. They help with noise reduction, low maintenance, fire resistant, their strength and durability far out way those of conventional windows.
- If there is noticeable changes to cracking in the walls and ceilings it may help to have a structural inspection carried out by a building inspector just to clarify its nothing serious.
- Seal your home of cracks and gaps in any brickwork.
- Check the roof space for strength, any structural damage from previous storms or unprofessional workmanship. The roof space is also a great breeding ground for termites. Replace cracked roof tiles and repair damaged roof ridging.
- Replace Halogen downlights with LED (they emit less heat).
- Replace old appliances with better energy efficient (High Star Rating). This is also a great time to check the smoke alarms working efficiently. Solar hot water could also be worth investing in, with Perth’s sunny climate the roof solar panels should have no problems converting energy. However, in winter and late dark evenings this might not be as effective without a battery backup system.
How often to do a maintenance and repair Health Check?
It’s best to do a maintenance and repair Health Check once a year…Complete your Health Check and upgrade your property according to your budget. Anything missed in the first year look to complete the following year or plan a date for completion. Then every year after maintain the Check list. Anything requiring structural work enlist a building inspector who will let you know what the issues are and can direct you on the next cause for action.
Another great time to have a maintenance and repair health check is just before putting a property on the market for sale. A nicely maintained and repaired home will be sure to help in the sale of a property. This will also help you highlight any issues which can be fixed and if there are any structural concerns book in a building inspection to determine if there’s any further issues. Be prepared if buyers decide to put in an offer on your home. As a condition to a home sales contract the buyers are generally required to have a building/termite inspection carried out on your home before the final settlement. If any issues are highlighted at this stage this could result in a prolonged settlement date. This can also have an effect on the sale price of your property as the buyer may have some structural issues which they are now able to negotiate against your asking price.
How to book a health inspection for your home
If you are interested in booking any inspections for your home or to find out about maintenance and repair contracts please complete the Inspection Order Form. Adam will contact you soon after to arrange a suitable time for your inspection to be carried out.
Your report is then prepared by owner and builder Adam MacDonald who completes your report following The Building Standards regulations complete with coloured photos which will be emailed to you in a timely manner.